March 16, 2010

Beautiful and Dreamy Autochromes

I recently discovered the blog "How to be a Retronaut" and I simply love it. It's become one of my favorite blogs as I love history and this blog has a way of serving you history in a very visual way that adds to the stories and really makes history come to life. The blog also features a lot of geeky and designy stuff such as commercials and behind the scenes Star Wars pictures and I love that. It's a great mix that makes this site one to watch. One of my favorite posts though was about Janet and Iris Laing, two girls who were photographed by their mother using an autochrome camera. I didn't know what autochromes were before reading this post, but after a visit to Wikipedia I now know that it was a method of taking pictures using potato starch grains. It's actually a very interesting read and I found myself wanting to try the method as it produces beautiful and delicate pictures. Here are some of the autochromes that I so fell in love with on How to be a Retronaut, and you can read the story behind them there as well.









2 comments:

  1. Hi Honey (great name)

    Thank you for writing such lovely things about "How to be a Retronaut". You have picked up on some of the things about it that I love, and I am really glad you are getting so much out of it.

    I will have you in mind when I create new posts

    Yours
    The Retronaut

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!

    So glad you liked my post and that you now know how much I enjoy reading your blog. It's one of the highlights of my day and I love sharing your content with my friends as well. Your post about the couple who got their portrait taken every christmas until they died made me cry. Good stuff! So thanks for a great blog!

    Sincerely,

    Honey

    ReplyDelete